Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Help us build ISC

Last post 10-13-2007, 11:28 AM by aprins. 31 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (32 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-13-2006, 2:14 PM 1391 in reply to 1379

Re: Help us build ISC

Besides the things that are already happening or in the works (discussions with Ken and with the ISC teachers, assorted media offerings of teachings, etc), I have a few ideas about some things that I'd like to see flower in this spacious new garden plot:

* Focused discussions on Integral/post-metaphysical reformulations of different spiritual traditions -- exploring not only the promise but also the challenges (in all quadrants).

* Exploration of contributions "Integral Spirituality" can make to interfaith dialogue, on practical and theoretical levels

* Creating spaces for community celebration (such as the "Altar of Thanks" and "Altar of Art" threads) and communal support (threads or sections dedicated to sharing difficulties, requesting or offering metta or prayer, etc).

* Study groups organized around important books or ideas.

* A program for inviting guests or non-members from different faith traditions, for a limited period of time, to join discussion of particular issues.  This might require issuing temporary passwords, and I don't know if this is feasible, but it would be nice to be able to bring in "outside voices" from time to time.

* Cooperation among members and ISC staff to organize different "integral spiritual" events on a local level -- teachings, interfaith discussions or practice circles, etc.  If the events are recorded, local "clips" could also be played online.

* An ambitious wish:  ISC, in cooperation with IU, to offer certification in integral spiritual chaplaincy (or other spiritual/ministerial roles).

Best wishes,

Bruce

May the boundless knowledge that time presents and space allows illuminate the native perspectives of your original face.

• Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  07-15-2006, 3:48 PM 1471 in reply to 1391

• nicksflicks is not online. Last active: 03-09-2007, 1:03 PM nicksflicks
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-11-2006
    • Oakland, CA, USA, N. American Continent, EARTH
    • Posts 10
    • Points 230

I second the motion on interfaith dialogue but would also like to add actively encouraging unity with all faiths.  The Integral Spirituality community should take an active role in unifying all factions of varying spiritual communities for the purpose of a true Integral approach. 

.·°¯°·.¸.->Nikki<-.¸.·°¯°·.

¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯There is no THEM, only US¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

• Report abuse
  •  07-17-2006, 5:55 PM 1533 in reply to 1471

• ats is not online. Last active: 12-13-2007, 6:21 AM ats
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-17-2006
    • Honolulu, Hawaii
    • Posts 160
    • Points 3,215

I like mcnova's idea of approaching churches and showing them how to integrate all religions, psychology and philosophy to shift them out of their pre-rational, mythical state.

I would like to see each individual teacher write a synopsis of the process, from their religion's point of view.  I live in Hawaii where there are many Buddhist temples.  For example, I would like to approach a Zen temple with a write-up from Genpo Roshi.  Hopefully, this will soften barriers and allow church and temple leaders to look further into ISC.  I think our greatest impact will be in shifting existing religions, although starting an Integral Spiritual Center in Hawaii would be sweet :)

I would like to see a concentrated effort by the teachers on working on strategies to start this shift in each of their individual religions towards an integral practice, including their foreign roots, if they have one.  A comprehensive game plan would be awesome.

myspace.com/zentaimusic
    • Report abuse
  •  07-22-2006, 6:26 AM 1753 in reply to 187

Hi Nomali,

As a teacher at ISC, it occurs to me that there may be interest in teachers being available to chat about integral spirituality and their approach to it. I would be happy to do that.  Let me know if there is a preferred way to throw my hat in the conversation ring in that regard.

John Kesler

• Post Points: 35
    • Report abuse
  •  07-24-2006, 3:20 AM 1803 in reply to 234

Hello -

I was reading your post and felt drawn to reply. I am a new student of Buddhism and have yet to decide which path to take. I have established that my goal is Dharma (maybe as I learn I can grasp seeking "nothingness" but at this point on my journey I am looking for more enlightenment). Other than that I have looked into SGI, Zen, and a number of websites for different lineages. I study the Dhammapada and attempt to bring the teachings into my meditation.

I am especially in need of a teacher in the art of meditation. I was injured 7 years ago and it caused a severe chronic pain & nervous system disorder. I am currently tapering off of my medications for pain relief and spasticity and I feel lucky that I have this wonderful opportunity to use my physical suffering as a vehicle for spiritual empowerment. I believe my compassion for and understanding of fellow beings will be greatly magnified by this incline in my spiritual path. Big Smile [:D]

If at all possible I will appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Love & Light,

Stephanie Marushia
    Neophyte Integral Philosopher
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  08-11-2006, 8:20 AM 4081 in reply to 187

In the video posted on Integral Naked from the first gathering for Integral Spiritual Center in which Ken welcomes the participants (can someone provide a link? I haven't been able to locate it again), he talks about a research survey that showed that 90% of college juniors (?) stated that spirituality was very important to them; however, most of them felt they couldn't talk to their peers about it.  Essentially, they are in the closet about their spiritual lives while embedded in the orange/green world of academia.  Ken stated that this is a catastrophe, and I wholeheartedly agree.  He also mentioned the dire need for some kind of outreach.  My question: Is ISC thinking about this at all at this early stage in its development?  The youth are hungry, and, currently, the most prevalent outreach is Evangelical Christian.  Many youth are being enticed into a blue meme mythic belief system with rock music, multimedia services and other "cool" offerings that are genius, in terms of marketing and attracting new followers.  The problem is that they are also perpetuating the discriminatory and narcissistic ideology that is rampant in that realm now: gays are sick, they are the "chosen" ones, God is a vengeful father figure, etc.  I know a movement takes years to develop, but the youth in our country are in serious need of some higher meme guidance.  I am currently a Post-Bac student at Portland State University, and I am planning on attending graduate school elsewhere.  I would be SO willing and eager to start the outreach that Ken talked about; though, I definitely would want the support and guidance of a larger like-minded group such as ISC.  Thoughts?
    To be nobody-but-yourself -- in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. - E.E.Cummings
    • Report abuse
  •  08-13-2006, 11:54 AM 4260 in reply to 4081

• perera is not online. Last active: 11-03-2007, 6:59 PM perera
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2006
    • Boulder, CO and Colombo, Sri Lanka
    • Posts 625
    • Points 12,675

Hi Colinwolf,

Your thoughts reflect ours very much. We are very serious about a campus outreach program. Maybe you have ideas to share!

the talk you are talking about is here in the Media section under the ISC Inaugural Event. Ken's talk is presented in 3 parts.

Smiles!

Nomali

~Save the Earth- it's the only planet with Chocolate.

• Report abuse
  •  08-13-2006, 11:58 AM 4261 in reply to 1753

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2006
    • Posts 625
    • Points 12,675

John,

How wonderful for you to play a role in the ISC forums. Thanks so much! As you can see, some of our readers are already asking you for your advice. 

You presense is tremendously valued. We trust you fully to take it anyway you see appropriate Smile [:)]

Smiles!

Nomali

• Report abuse
  •  08-14-2006, 7:26 AM 4295 in reply to 4260

It's very encouraging to hear that ISC is "very serious about a campus outreach program."  I am hoping that, since Ken felt it was important enough to include that sentiment in the opening address at the first ISC meeting, brainstorming and movement planning is underway.  I don't have any experience (yet) in campus outreach or movement building, per se; however, I would love to be involved somehow. 

It would be great to hear some of what's happening with ISC: ideas, action plans, etc.

Thanks!

Colin

To be nobody-but-yourself -- in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. - E.E.Cummings
    • Report abuse
  •  08-14-2006, 9:08 PM 4333 in reply to 4295

Nice "meeting" all of you.  Thanks for sharing your backgrounds and experiences, wishes and needs.

If it's possible, I'd like to see a reference section for those of us not familiar with the terms used in many spiritual schools and some of Ken's works.  Knowing this would be HUGE to set up, could it be done in a Wikipedia kind of way?  II could oversee it, but practitioners could add and update definitions.

Not trying to create extra work for you all...

• Report abuse
  •  12-13-2006, 3:16 PM 16470 in reply to 1533

• ProdigalSol is not online. Last active: 12-24-2006, 1:43 AM ProdigalSol
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-10-2006
    • Omaha, NE, USA
    • Posts 26
    • Points 505

I am sorry to possibly look confrontational, but there were two things in this thread that didn't click so well to me. Tell me if I took things out of context but...

"The Integral Spirituality community should take an active role in unifying all factions of varying spiritual communities for the purpose of a true Integral approach."

I'm terrible at memorizing things but there is that famous quote by Gautama Buddha that basically says there are ten thousand roads to enlightenment/heaven/whatever you wanna call it. While fostering an understanding between as many religions as are open to the idea is of course a fantastic idea, I'm not sure that its a good idea to actually try and find some one size fits all 'true integral' approach to spirituality.

By its own nature spirituality is about as subjective as it gets, with people who experience peak spiritual moments coming back with radically different ideas of what it 'meant', even if the actual experience was essentially the same. I personally don't find buddhism to be at all my cup of tea, but others are finding what they feel is exactly what they need to advance themselves towards their spiritual goals in the Buddha's teachings. Trying to Unify all factions, I think, is something that would probably turn alot of people off. This isn't like Ken Wilber's spectrum of consciousness where each psychological theory explains a different part of the human condition better than others and they fit all together nicely... this is a undulating sea of billions of different opinions and paths... trying to boil them down to one approach is... lunacy (in my opinion).

"I like mconva's idea of approaching churches and showing them how to integrate all religions, psychology and philosophy to shift them out of their pre-rational, mythical state."

I read mcnova's post and I'm not sure that this is really what he was saying... and maybe you just didn't communicate what you really wanted to say in a way that I understand... but I think heads of churches would appreciate being 'shown' how to integrate all religions... etc about as much as I used to appreciate being told I am going to hell in a handbasket when walking by a sidewalk crackpot preacher, heheh.

However I do see how certain PRACTICES that can seamlessly fit within most belief systems could be offered to many places of worship as ways that pretty much all of us can deepen our connection to the divine. I think there are a number of practices in all mainstream religions that aren't very widespread that would be something that many people would be open to... as long as it was presented from someone they liked (aka someone with spiritual beliefs similar to theirs) and and shown to be something that other people like them use to bring them deeper satisfaction in life. If the goal is to really try and spread practices and ideals that follow along the Integral ideals... it would seem to me that the best way to do that would be in the spirit of "Hey, check this out... other people like you have tried it and they have liked what they got out of it" instead of "You know... if you just look at it this way instead of how you do now you can escape your 'pre-rational, mythical state'".
    • Report abuse
  •  12-17-2006, 4:08 AM 16718 in reply to 16470

• vairachna is not online. Last active: 06 Aug 2024, 12:28 AM vairachna
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2006
    • Mackenbach, Germany
    • Posts 16
    • Points 330

I have to agree with your confrontational nature, but not what frustrates you. What bothers me is that they don't seem to delve into people's minds. They try to set up a stage, for people to be players, that is much too passive to me. Perhaps a better approach would be to list the different traditions more clearly for the different teachers they suggest you leap from the integral framework for graduated learning. I have always taken a backward approach and like to know the end result and fill in the information later if it is truly needed. Where are the aethiest teachers? Spirituality doesn't always escape the people who don't believe in God. Even Solipsists have the ability to be compelled to help the world in it's understanding of reality. Would it be possible to have surveys that could best show people where they stand and who could best help each individual on a path that can be offered by the institute? Also, as my last piece of advice, to improve ISC and perhaps II forums would be to have an area where people could, anonymously if needed, post information that is generally withheld from the public. As I have met people along my short path in life towards transcendence, the knowledge that I felt would best benefit me were always... secret and forbidden from outsiders. That is what I think II could do the best. Present a platform for these guarded ideas to be released at least to the paying members. Sorry, I am crazy and everyone has to put up with someone like at some point in their lives even for a brief while.
    Sorry further response canceled due to Ragnarok.
    • Report abuse
  •  12-17-2006, 1:18 PM 16739 in reply to 16718

• jongdar is not online. Last active: 12-10-2007, 12:20 PM jongdar
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-04-2006
    • Flat Rock, North Carolina
    • Posts 10
    • Points 225

hi vairachna,

...perhaps the  secret and hidden teachings are for the most part,perspectives that are beyond our present abilities to assimilate?

I'm gonna quit chasing my dreams.I'm just gonna ask them where they're goin' and hook up with 'em later.
    Mitch Hedberg
    • Report abuse
  •  12-17-2006, 1:25 PM 16740 in reply to 16739

• jongdar is not online. Last active: 12-10-2007, 12:20 PM jongdar
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-04-2006
    • Flat Rock, North Carolina
    • Posts 10
    • Points 225

It would be great to see a group of teachers and sempai's take to the road, visiting different areas of the country in a traveling gospel style tent meeting format...tent,folding chairs,hat passing for funds...the whole bit! different addepts could drive the bus,ten-wheeler or whatever and REALLY address the roots that are willing and available,but not as financially able as some.
    I'm gonna quit chasing my dreams.I'm just gonna ask them where they're goin' and hook up with 'em later.
    Mitch Hedberg
    • Report abuse
  •  12-17-2006, 11:15 PM 16760 in reply to 16740

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2006
    • Posts 625
    • Points 12,675

hi Jongdar,

Wow, that is quite an idea. Not sure which teacher at ISC would actually have the time or agree but certainly, a fun thought. I wish I could make that happen!

Nomali

• Report abuse
Page 2 of 3 (32 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help