Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search
Multiplex » Integral Degree Forums » International Development » Re: A thread for those new to Integral Theory

A thread for those new to Integral Theory

Last post 05-09-2007, 7:58 PM by olehen. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-19-2007, 2:59 PM 21878

• drishti is not online. Last active: 06-08-2007, 1:55 PM drishti
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-01-2006
    • San Francisco / BC, Canada
    • Posts 6
    • Points 205

A thread for those new to Integral Theory

This discussion thread will focus on Integral Theory and the Integral Approach in more introductory terms, for those newly into this exploration. We will also begin to work with how an Integral Approach can be applied in international development.
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  05-08-2007, 8:42 PM 22567 in reply to 21878

• olehen is not online. Last active: 05-10-2007, 2:47 AM olehen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-25-2006
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25

Re: A thread for those new to Integral Theory

Dear Gail, Paul et al.,

First of all I would like to warmly thank you for setting up this forum on integral international development – it’s a wonderful way for practitioners spread around the world to get in touch and together explore ways of developing and improving our field of work – by seeking integrally informed hints and suggestions to some of the very difficult and complex challenges we are facing in our daily work!

For those of us new to integral theory it’s a fantastic opportunity to learn from others that already have extensive experience with both the theory and its practical application within international development.

Just a few words about myself: I’m from Denmark and have a background as a organic farmer, and have been working the last 7 years with agricultural development in Vietnam – first for a Danish NGO and the last years for Danida. Apart from surfing a little around on the Integral webpages reading a few articles and listening to some of the interviews with Ken and Integral friends – the only book on integral theory I so far have read is A Theory of Everything. So I have to admit that just understanding some of the integral terminology (e.g. zones) used in these threads can be a little difficult sometimes.

Therefore I would be very grateful if you could suggest some of the most essential publications giving a good understanding of Integral Theory the integral framework and approach, and maybe especially relevant to our field of work. The reason why I’m asking this question now is that later this month I will attend a Spiral Dynamics seminar and confab in Texas, and this would be a good chance for me to pass by a bookshop and grab some integral books to bring back to Vietnam.

I am also considering joining the Integral certificate program in either JFK University or Fielding Graduate University in order to really get a good grip of Integral Theory and its practical applications. Would you be able to explain a little about the major differences between the two programs and if you would consider one of them more relevant to our field of work?

I’m pretty busy now finishing up my current assignment which ends end of June, then it’s summer holidays in Denmark, but in August I will certainly be back again here (and looking very much forward to it) with a lot of pressing questions arising from “field work” in Vietnam!

Once again thanks a lot for setting up this public forum on Integral International Development!

Cheers,

Ole

• Report abuse
  •  05-09-2007, 7:19 PM 22602 in reply to 22567

Hi Ole, welcome

While my introduction to Integral was through A Brief History of Everything and it remains one of my favorites, the theory itself has evolved. The latest version (so-called Wilber 5), where finer distinctions are made between mind states and levels of consciousness and a truly post-metaphysical theory of evolution/Kosmology is presented,  is in Ken's newest book Integral Spirituality. You'll get an introduction to the zones there as well and Appendix Two is totally out of this world. Tough going but exquisite! For getting deeper into applications my favorite is Eye of Spirit.

For writings that deal more directly with societies and social change take a look at the 3 manuscript chapters posted on Ken's website www.kenwilber.com (go via personal/blog) from Integral Politics/The Terrorism Trilogy. For a more theoretical presentation of the social sciences, the reference would have to be Volume 2 of the Kosmos Trilogy. This is also still in manuscript form and Excerpts A-D are posted at www.Shambhala.com (look under Shambhala Features on the home page).

I donot know the differences between the two university programs. I am hoping someone else will pick up the thread.

Meanwhile, don't miss the over 100 articles on sustainability and development posted under Multiplex/Files/Integral University Presents.

Happy Trails!

Emine

• Report abuse
  •  05-09-2007, 7:58 PM 22605 in reply to 22602

• olehen is not online. Last active: 05-10-2007, 2:47 AM olehen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-25-2006
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25

Hi Emine,

Thanks a lot for your guidance – it’s highly appreciated! When new to Integral, Ken’s collected works can be quiet overwhelming ….. 

Cheers, Ole 

• Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help