Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Feedback for AQAL Journal

Last post 12-03-2007, 8:53 PM by mrksteele. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-12-2007, 10:39 PM 20547

Feedback for AQAL Journal

Post any comments, requests, or critiques you have of the journal here.
    • Post Points: 65
    • Report abuse
  •  03-13-2007, 12:11 PM 20577 in reply to 20547

Re: Feedback for AQAL Journal

my immediate reaction:  wonderful!  this was such a long time coming.   i can imagine the enormous work that went into putting together these first four issues.   it shows in the quality and, more importantly, the originality of what has been accomplished.  i used to spend alot of time going through scientific journals.  ironically, they were much more narrowly focused, yet much less cohesive, less coherent than this.  this first volume is like the opening movement of a symphony, with ken wilber as conductor.  one can't help but wonder what will become of the many, rich themes that have already been introduced.

• Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  03-13-2007, 1:45 PM 20578 in reply to 20577

Dear Ralph,  Read all your posts.  Comforting for me.  I went to download the Journal and saw 166 pages on the first one I chose.  Does it go pretty fast? And do you  have any suggestions.  One at a time (now that you have already read them all)

I am not just chit chatting.  I am "challenged"  here. Thought you might have a hint or two.   Perhaps doing them when I am doing something else.  Is that what you do.?

Thanks,  Love Pattye     PS  Your endorsement means something to me.

• Report abuse
  •  03-13-2007, 11:07 PM 20597 in reply to 20578

thanks for the compliment, pattye, even though it may well mean you're every bit as much in the dark as i am!

i've been waiting for the aqal journal to come out for some time now. this is a huge step for i-i, and a difficult one, given how, it seems to me, academia still dismisses ken wilber and i-i.

i didn't mean to give the impression i had read all 1400 or so pages--i've read maybe a fifth of that, but it was enough, i felt, to offer a general impression. if anything, i expect i will simply be adding to that impression as i read more--praising the flute section, for example. incidentally, while ken was conducting, sean hargens, i suspect, was accomplishing what must have been incredible yeoman-like work backstage. i have to wonder if he gets any more sleep than ken!?

my recommendation would be to look at the first two issues before the others, since they provide an introduction, a platform, for subsequent issues. it's my ubiquitous advice: be patient. don't go for the dessert before you've even eaten your vegetables.

that's not to say there aren't some real gems in the first two issues. by all means check out willow pearson's 'development of desire', susanne cook-greuter's explication of the use of aq in developmental psychology and the case study of 'jane'. when i get time, i'll want to carefully re-read all three of these, each by an aqal master (with ken's editing?) i can only hope to emulate.

i'm hopelessly male: single-tasking is my absolute limit, if i hope to be good at anything. patience is the word, for me at least.

as pelle said, enough about me! i'd like to hear what you and others think about this incredible new journal, which i'm sure you will love, pattye, in your own way.

ralph

• Post Points: 50
    • Report abuse
  •  03-14-2007, 1:37 PM 20616 in reply to 20597

• perera is not online. Last active: 11-03-2007, 6:59 PM perera
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2006
    • Boulder, CO and Colombo, Sri Lanka
    • Posts 625
    • Points 288,930

Attachment: annie.jpg

Hello All,

I would like to send much appreciation and recognition to Annie McQuade - former employee of Integral Institute who did a huge amount of hard work to create AQAL Journal.

Annie,
    Thank you for all that you did not just for AQAL Journal but for every project, including Integral Books, that you were involved in at I-I.

Your very sharp brilliance was very much needed for AQAL Journal. You carried a heavy load of this project. Deep bow for your efforts the fruits of which are now easy to see in these pages...

I wish you success and may you be able to truly give your gifts and service to those who need and deserve it.
    I love you!
    Nomali

Nomali

~Save the Earth- it's the only planet with Chocolate.

• Post Points: 50
    • Report abuse
  •  03-15-2007, 9:45 AM 20648 in reply to 20547

What will be the basic differences between AQAL Journal and The Integralist? I am excited about the Journal, and I have submitted work for The Integralist, but I am not hearing much about it at the moment.
    JC
    33° 13' N 87° 37' W
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
  •  03-15-2007, 2:35 PM 20667 in reply to 20616

Nomali,

The journal staff and I couldn't agree more with your acknowledgment of Annie's contribution, and we thank you for that. We'd also like to publicly thank Barrett Brown, Forest Jackson, Katie Heikkinen, Cindy Lou Golin, Paul Salamone, and the authors themselves, all of whom played key roles in this 3+ year project.

Matt Rentschler
    Managing Editor, AQAL: Journal of Integral Theory and Practice
    Co-Director, Integral Art Center
    • Report abuse
  •  03-15-2007, 4:23 PM 20674 in reply to 20667

thank you, too, matt. glad to know you're still at it.

nomali, it's so wonderful to see one of your messages again. i hope you will continue to post from time to time :)

i'm guessing from what you write that annie was also laid off--either that, or she became unhappy with i-i and left on her own. of course, that's a sad thing to see. it seems there must be a bad side to everything.

but also a good side. look at what annie accomplished while at i-i, and you would know much better than i. what i at least can see is a wonderful article she wrote for issue 4, which reflects how much she has grown under the influence of integral, and, as a result, how much she has to share with us.

being an agentic male, this was especially valuable to me, since i don't get into the relational side as much. and as her article reflected, when we shun the bad we cannot hope to find the good.

• Report abuse
  •  03-18-2007, 10:29 AM 20823 in reply to 20547

Glad to be here: we will build bridges one moment at a time... Regards, Durwin
    Durwin Foster, M.A.
    Doctoral Student, Counselling Psychology Program
    University of British Columbia
    Vancouver, Canada
    durwinfoster@gmail.com
    • Report abuse
  •  03-18-2007, 10:36 AM 20825 in reply to 20597

Re: note to Ralph

Hello Ralph! Hey -- no need to put down your single-tasking style -- neither masculine nor feminine styles are superior, remember? We can take that helpful cue from relativism... I hope you have not internalized any misandry, my AQAL colleague! If so, we can help each other.... Regards, Durwin
    Durwin Foster, M.A.
    Vancouver, Canada
    durwinfoster@gmail.com
    • Report abuse
  •  03-18-2007, 8:34 PM 20849 in reply to 20245

feedback for aqal journal

durwin! are you sure there's no need to put this down? remember what woody allen said:

god gave man a penis and a brain........... but only enough blood to operate one of them at a time :))

just kidding! i'm with you on this: vive l'difference. ken has saved me from whatever doubts i had about our sex, although we do have our problems as does the other sex; and given me confidence that the two genders can be effectively integrated at a 2nd tier level in both male and female.

still, after reading annie's article, i'm inclined to believe that a distinctly feminine approach to homelessness is what is needed. i think she mentioned that many, if not most of the homeless, are borderline or schizophrenic. incidentally, apropos another thread, i've been reading about object-relations and self psychology. according to the first, they probably failed to get a 'good enough mother'. according to the second, as conveyed in a book by kohut colleague wolf, the psychotherapist needs to fill in as that 'good enough mother' in order to straighten out what went wrong in infancy. annie showed a remarkable capacity for doing this, imo, but it's all quadrants, and without, imo, anywhere near the LR, institutional support she needed--long term therapy is absolutely essential--she could accomplish very little. of course, one doesn't know how she may have touched them--if some may not have been moved to look for the help they desperately need.

few men, i imagine, would have her capacity for communion, yet it was not a communion without agency. as i read the article i felt pulled by her to places i would not have gone on my own. places we cannot avoid, if spirituality, especially american spirituality, is not to become a dirty word.

here's hoping you represent integral well at the conference,

ralph

• Report abuse
  •  03-18-2007, 8:41 PM 20850 in reply to 20597

Thanks Ralph for your help re: the AQAL JOURNAL.  There is not enough energy for "multitasking at my age.  In most ways, I do not miss that at all.  Other times, I wish I could still do it.  Ralph, I caught your link somewhere and punched it and landed in critics circle.  I could not believe that those posts had laid there for so long.  However, your trickster puzzle just gave me something else to do.  Read that thing again!!!!!   Not for awhile, for sure.  I will let you know about how I like the A. journal and maybe get back to Critics circle.  Hope it is not months, as before.  I also left a Post.   Love Pattye
    • Report abuse
  •  03-18-2007, 8:45 PM 20851 in reply to 20616

Hello Nomali,  Dear Girl:  I am getting to a letter to you.  Your not coming back and other things were making me very sad.  That and other things popping up in my life.

I will be in touch with you.   I still ache that you are there and not here.  Take good care of yourSelf.   Love Pattye

Love Everyone   

Trust only a few

Do no harm       Shakespeare

• Report abuse
  •  03-19-2007, 3:08 PM 20871 in reply to 20616

Nomali,

Yes, Annie's hard work was of the highest value for the release of AQAL Journal.

And there were many others who played a role, as Matt mentioned. We will be making some changes that better acknowledge this, soon.

cheers
    david z

Gregarious Curmudgeon
    • Report abuse
  •  03-20-2007, 10:08 AM 20888 in reply to 20849

Re: feedback for aqal journal

Thank you Ralph -- I'll definitely read Annie's article now! Which conference is this that I mentioned again? I am presenting on feminist therapy tonight to my counselling theories class -- I'll emphasize how the opportunity I have right now to spend two and half days at home with my little girls each week, at their tender ages of 4 and 1, was made possible by the heroic work of early feminists and feminist movement in general. Regards, Durwin
    Durwin Foster, M.A.
    Vancouver, Canada
    durwinfoster@gmail.com
    • Report abuse
Page 1 of 2 (18 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help