Multiplex: What's New | Site Map | Community | News My Multiplex Account | Sign In 
in Search

Integral Buddhism

Last post 09-14-2006, 10:27 AM by mandala. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-13-2006, 5:43 PM 7759

• mandala is not online. Last active: 05 Nov 2024, 4:01 PM mandala
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • rijeka, croatia
    • Posts 22
    • Points 355

Integral Buddhism

http://multiplex.integralinstitute.org/Public/cs/forums/thread/244.aspx
    this thread apparently dissapeared from the "By Topic" section into thin air.
    (see it if you're interested on how it started before death at birth)

anyone still interested in this subject?

hokai

may all be well.
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 9:34 AM 7816 in reply to 7759

Re: Integral Buddhism

hey

I'm totally still interested but I've been so overwhelmed by the ISC/IN forum integration that I'm finding it hard to focus and participate.

This topic is central for me, personally.

I'm currently interested in exploring the differences between 'Vertical' and 'Horizontal Enlightenment'.

Superficially I'm mapping them on to 'Liberation' vs 'Full Enlightenment' and the "two truths" but, as I said it's tentative and superficial for now. Any thoughts on this?

Also Partick Dunn is really interesting me, I'm still not sure how to integrate my tradition and my AQAL 'teachings'. Wonder if I ever will.  :)

i'll promise to keep a good eye on this thread...

[adds RSS feed to reader]

xx

\  /
     \/

"May the sufferings and negativites of living beings ripen upon me,
    And may my happiness and virtue ripen upon them" - Nagarjuna
    • Post Points: 20
    • Report abuse
  •  09-14-2006, 10:27 AM 7819 in reply to 7816

• mandala is not online. Last active: 05 Nov 2024, 4:01 PM mandala
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • rijeka, croatia
    • Posts 22
    • Points 355

Re: Integral Buddhism

hi vajrayogini.
    thanks for responding so promptly. i believe the distinction of vertical and horizontal is crucial, and something we have to start from. however, let's remember that both of these have to do with relative reality, as only the deepest states in the horizontal tend to reveal, or perhaps announce, the absolute/nondual itself. as it has been pointed out many times by others, let me just reiterate that the always-already is a condition of all conditions, and the nature of all states and stages, impossible to avoid. so we have three items in toto, one of them not being an item in itself, if that makes any sense.

however, this suits us just nicely, as in the traditional framework we already find a triune description of enlightenment, famous from the analogy "anuttara-samyak-sam-bodhi", or
    (1) unexcelled
    (2) perfect
    (3) complete
    awakening, where each of these may refer to one of our three items. of course there are numerous traditional explanations of these terms, each major school having a specific take on them. chinese and japanese schools often rendered "bodhi" as tao/do, meaning "the Way". it's also important to note that "bodhi" became even more important as in bodhicitta, in both relative and absolute meanings. then again, integral next-generation buddhism will surely produce a new exegesis to these crucial points. if I may propose, unexcelled may be used to refer to the unborn, prior, timeless condition of each and every occasion, the undisclosed Source of all perspectives. it is "unexcelled" because it is unmatched and uncompared by anything else - everything "else" being always-already simply an instance of it. there is no else. then, "perfect" may refer to the mastery of states themselves, while "complete" may refer to the structures.

note: it seems quite natural that someone using an amber structure to disclose and interpret the Way today would not so much be deemed "imperfect", as much as incomplete and partial.

bodhi, finally, stems from the same root as buddha, the Awakened One. hence it basically refers to Wakefullness, as in being awake to what is reality, whether we speak of
    (1) Ground - innate cognizant nature, the source of all and every thing;
    (2) Path - realizing clearly, despite confusion, the natural states and structures; and
    (3) Fruition - endlessly opening into and as the totality of relative and absolute.

let's move on from here. looking forward for anyone's informed input.

hokai

may all be well.
    • Post Points: 5
    • Report abuse
View as RSS news feed in XML
 © Integral Institute, 2024. all rights reserved - powered by enlight™ email this page del.icio.us | terms of service | privacy policy | suggestion box | help